About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is Kate and this blog is all about my adventures of happy living. By that I mean crochet, chickens and cooking. Here's to the good life - and being a good wife! xxx

Monday 31 December 2012

100th Post - last one of 2012 - what a year!!!

Today is the last day of the year when I found my love for crafting. And coincidentally it is the 100th post of the this little blog which I have enjoyed soooo much.

I thought it would therefore be best spending my 100th post, and the last one of the year, reminiscing on the journey I have made by celebrating all the ta-dah moments over the past year!

I first posted in May not really knowing where things were going to take me but I had discovered blogs like Attic24 as I was first learning to crochet and thought "I could do that". And I am so glad I did. Blogging has introduced me to a whole community ... not just online but also in my town.

Although I was very very ropey both in blogging and crocheting I made my first blanket. For a baby, which sadly never came ... but without my new found hobbies I don't think I would have ever got through it. This blanket is now safely in a box with a few other little memories.

 
I then picked up the hook and yarn bug ever so quickly ....... I literally went mad for it!!! I made some birthday bunting, which now traditionally gets hung up on all of the families birthdays, some olympic bunting which me and my sister waved like crazy when we went to London 2012 (and is still strung in my car's back window).


These quicker projects gave me much needed breaks while I tried to complete my brightly coloured vertical strip blanket. This is now a much loved beach/picnic/chair cover blanket! A new family heirloom.

 I must take a second out from the yarn ta-dah's and just salute the Queens Jubilee (wasn't it fantastic!!!!) with my little Patriotic Felty Birds which still hang with British pride in my kitchen and get the most attention from visitors!


While completing my first projects I also learnt how to knit. I didn't really pick it up as quickly or with as much enthusiasm as crocheting, but I did stick with it and I am glad I did. I started off with some easy projects and did a sample scarf with some sneaky crocheted flowers to hide the mistakes. My granny wore it every day we went out over the Christmas holidays and I am glad to say it looks alright!


In my knitting class everybody made a doll to send to Africa, which I embraced and learnt a whole lot whilst making it. I definitely want to do some more charity knits in 2013.


I also made a little Mrs TT Mouse which my sister-in-law took to Thailand as a good luck charm during her travels.


By this time, its was all clicking and boy was I on a crafting high .... a high I don't think will really ever go! I felt confident enough to start making things for the home and learnt to Tunisian crochet some arm covers and cushions for our living room and a nice beach inspired rug to hide a stain on the carpet in our bedroom.


I started to use wool to make gifts as well .... scarfs and snoods for friends and family, baby blankets for new arrivals and decorations and felted bags and mice for Christmas gifts.


 
For my birthday in September my husband also brought me a sewing machine .... I was too scared to touch it for weeks but as soon as I did I caught that bug as well .... just in time for Christmas. I made some lovely little advent bags for my mum and dad and in laws (as well as myself) and filled them with some little goodies to help with the build up to Christmas. I went to a couple of amazing workshops and learnt new skills and came out with some festive stockings which are now with my godchildren in Oz and a Christmas Tree table runner ..... which has inspired my first commissioned pieces; a table runner for my Auntie. I also have made the most out of scraps with bunting and hanging tree decorations.
 

Phew ..... I think I have covered the main bits! Wow what a year! What an achievement.

Other than crafting I have had a nice year, a tough one, but a lovely one all the same. Some lovely holidays, new Friends, a weekly crafting circle to go to and our lovely chickens (in the picture is Jill .... the one that got away)! I have so much to be grateful for and would like to thank you all for taking my on the ride as well! You are all wonderful and lovely and inspiring!!!!!! Thanks!


So 2013 ....... a few goals.............
  • Keep crafting and blogging and getting better!!!
  • Try some craft fairs (I have already booked on one at the end of the month) to raise some money for materials.
  • Read 12 books (one a month). I have already decided on six.
  • Try mediation.
  • Do a charity knitting project.
  • Loose some weight.
I am sure I will keep you posted along the way!

Love and best wishes for 2013

Kate aka Granny Taught Me To Crochet.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely round up of your year.

    I hope that 2013 brings you all that you dream of!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely to see all your beautiful creations of 2012! I wish you all good things for the new year ahead, and here's to many more happy years of crafting & blogging :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that being able to round up the year through your blog is great, looking back at the photos and posts. It is good to see what you have achieved and remember all the everyday things that matter. Good luck with your goals. Best wishes for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a creative year and although everything has gone exactly as you hoped, you've got through, and will be stronger for it! Wishing you good things for 2013, where some of your wishes come true! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely crafty round up ... I hope you have a wonderful New Year ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you and yours a very blessed and light filled 2013 xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics - ooh bunting nearly done - just need my bias binding now - looking forward to your future posts xxx Happy New Year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firstly lovely Kate, thank you so much for my lovely Christmas Present. I was a good girl and saved it for Christmas as instructed. How kind you are.
    What a busy year you have had. I started crochet while my husband was on tour in Afghanistan, it has provided me with solace and comfort ever since so I can relate a little to what you say. I can't wait to see what you produce in 2013, it's going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I always read them and will be sure to check out your blog. Kate x